West Virginia Leads Vaccine Race
West Virginia, home to The Greenbrier Sporting Club, leads the country in vaccine distribution.
As of February 23, 2021
- West Virginia has administered 465,593 first and second doses – 90% of its supply and enough to vaccinate one-quarter of its population
- The state has the fifth-highest vaccination rate in the world behind Israel, the Seychelles, the United Arab Emirates and the UK
- Officials set up a telephone hotline that residents could call with questions about the vaccine or to schedule an appointment rather than an online site
- Partnering with 250 independent pharmacies that help serve several rural counties help nursing home residents get vaccinated more quickly
- West Virginia was among the first state to ask for the National Guard’s help to track and distribute vaccinations
Also featured on NPR this week:
HOYER: And I looked at the numbers. Israel is vaccinating, per hundred, 54.7. The next country was the United Arab Emirates, I believe, at 38.7. I pulled it up right before it started, looked at the numbers, and then I called Joe, and I said, hey, Joe, what are our numbers? And he sent me back 18.7. I’m like, holy crap. Well, if West Virginia was its own country, we’d be third at 18.7.
Found on NPR.